This town had its origin in the form of a small hamlet founded by a Jat chieftain named Churru or Chuhru in the 16th century (but, 1620 according to Encyclopedia Britannica). It was part of Jangaldesh before it was annexed by the Rathore rulers.The present fort was built in the early 17th century. Churu became an important town in due course of time, therefore, the rulers of Bikaner wanted to bring it under their subjugation. A protracted war was fought between the landlord of Churu, Shivji Singh and the ruler of Bikaner State. A fierce battle between the two was fought in 1814. It is said that when all metals were used up, the residents of the town donated their jewelery which was melted into silver cannons and fired at the adversaries. Shivji Singh was defeated and killed in the battle. The residents here take delight in talking about this “silver cannon” episodeIn 1818, the ruler of Bikaner brought Churu under his control with the help of the British.
In early 20th century, the people of this area took part in the freedom struggle under the dynamic leadership of the great local saint, Swami Gopal Das.
This town is known for its haveli’s with colorful frescos, a red pillar called dharma stupa, white clock tower, etc. This whole region had excellent water harvesting system in the form of ponds, johadas, etc. One such beautiful pond is built near this town, and is called Sethani ka Johada. This dusty town is surrounded by golden sand dunes, many of them are as high as hills.